Let’s spotlight marginalized authors!
Originally post February 2nd, 2021. Updated July 26th, 2022 to adjust frequency of the giveaway.
Enter now to receive a free Light Up Voices package, this offer is open only to members of marginalized communities.
I will randomly choose one author every three months (four winners a year) to receive the Light Up Voices package. You can apply at any time; this offer never closes!
You do not need to apply every quarter; your application is good for a whole year. After which, you can apply again. (If you are chosen and have shelved the manuscript you may choose a different project or forego the evaluation and we’ll choose someone else.)
If you want to be considered for this opportunity, apply now!
What it includes:
A 50-page evaluation, a list of next steps, as well as a 30-min coaching call.
- An evaluation is an in-depth analysis that will help you refine your writing by discussing big-picture edits. It will look at story arc, character development, conflict, pacing, voice, plot, consistency, and more! You will receive a letter full of actionable feedback that breaks down the strengths and weaknesses in the first 50 pages of your manuscript.
While I can’t guarantee success, hopefully this will help make your writing stronger for this manuscript and future projects.
Note: All entries will remain anonymous, as we don’t want to out anyone publicly, but you can feel free to talk about it on your own social media.
I have no copyright interest in the work and the author is free to use any of my suggestions, edits, and ideas without reservation.
Signing up for Light Up Voices will NOT sign you up for our newsletter. Your information will only be used to contact you if you have been selected for the package. If you’d like to join our newsletter, you can do that here.
- Must be an author from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, disabled, or other historically marginalized communities. (the manuscript itself does not need to be OwnVoices)
- Must have at least 50 pages completed of their manuscript.
- The manuscript must be fiction (I personally specialize in romance, fantasy, sci-fi, and mystery, but other genres are accepted) and either adult, young adult, or middle grade.
To apply you’ll need to have the following prepared (asterisk* denotes required):
- Contact information*
- Social Media Handles
- Short Bio (including any relevant writing or editorial experience)*
- Why would you be a good candidate for this program?*
- Is there anything else you would like us to know?
- Tell me about your writing*
- Genre and age category of your piece*
- First 10 pages (Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, 1 inch margins, double-spaced) - this is not required but will help me evaluate if I will be of any value to you.